Page 16 - MRT - Visitor Guide Hyperlinks3
P. 16

Enjoy a walk along the route laid out and RYLSTONE GARAGE Museum and the family history archives of
view the beauty of the old buildings. Look Cars came to Rylstone in the 1920’s, and Rylstone and District Historical Society. It is
for the heritage plaques on or adjoining most this building was Rylstone’s first garage. open Sundays 10am-3pm or by appointment.
of the buildings. Removing the cars made a great space for
dancing, and the Sample Room opposite was HALL’S CORNER
THE SCHOOL OF ARTS + MEMORIAL HALL near enough for a supper room. The garage These two early cottages were erected by
Now known as the Small Hall, the School was also the first venue for silent movies Goodwin Spires Hall to house his extended
of Arts (c1910) was originally a library and before the cinema operated at the Memorial family. In later years they were converted
centre for meetings. It later functioned as Hall. to a number of businesses including a
a supper room, for card tournaments, as a newsagency, bootmakers, garage, solicitor’s
Red Cross Centre and Scout Hall. The 1926 FLOUR MILL office and bank.
Memorial Hall next door was once used as This building was originally a 3 storey flour
the town’s cinema theatre and is now used mill built in 1872 by John Purvis. In 1893 THE DRY GOODS STORE
as a multifunction Community Hall. the boiler blew up and rocketed through the This substantial building was erected for
wall and into the building next door, killing John W Hardwick to house his dry goods and
JACKSON’S CORNER two people. This event, and a fire in 1922, general store. It operated as such until the
Built by John Wesley Jackson, these shops resulted in major changes to the look of the 1900’s. For a number of years it served the
were originally constructed in stone. A building. It has operated as a milk bar and community as the local Masonic Hall.
disastrous fire in 1927 destroyed the café since the 1960’s.
buildings but new ones were erected on HEDINGLY
the foundations. The stone barn, by the PURVIS’ STORE The home of John W Hardwick, commenced
Showground gate, and Jackson’s original The building on the right side was built by in 1859. It was later owned for many years
house with slab walls tucked behind the Purvis as a shop and residence. Subsequent by local general practitioner Dr. Howe. His
shops on the north side, remain intact in owner Edward Nash doubled the downstairs daughter and her husband still reside here.
their appearance. area, adding to the verandah and creating They have undertaken restoration in keeping
the illusion that the upper storey extends with the original design.
THE GLOBE HOTEL + SAMPLE ROOM over the whole building. It has served as
In 1880 Mr Holland, an ex-saddler, and an ironmongery, haberdashery and grocery HIGHFIELD COTTAGE
his father-inlaw Mr Thomas Owen, an store. This is one of the very early slab cottages
ex-policeman, built a sandstone hotel of Rylstone still standing, built by Robert T
of 12 rooms. It was soon extended to THE BRIDGE HOTEL Highfield.
accommodate the increased business This fine building, built for publican Goodwin
brought by the railway in 1884. The Spires Hall, opened in 1872. In 1895 it ST JAMES’ CHURCH OF ENGLAND
entrances and façade were altered in the became a bank and manager’s residence The church was consecrated in 1864 and
1930’s due to changes in the street level. and was used as such until 1957. It was features splendid stained glass windows. It
The Sample Room next door was constructed acquired by the Historical Society in the was one of the earliest Anglican churches
to provide a space for commercial travellers 1960’s and now hosts a variety of boutique west of the Blue Mountains. At the rear is a
to display their wares to local storekeepers. businesses and accommodation. The building small slab building that functioned as both
is protected by a permanent conservation church and Rylstone’s first schoolhouse in
ST. MALACHY’S CHURCH order and is on the NSW State Heritage the 1850’s.
This graceful 1875 Catholic church replaced Register.
a small timber slab church built in the WESLEYAN CHURCH
1850’s. The style is Victorian Gothic, with an JAMES NASH HOUSE The Wesleyan Church, serving a growing
Italianate belltower. An addition to the front Built for James Nash, blacksmith, this home Methodist congregation, was built in 1884. It
was made in 1960 with stone from a private was originally located near the Showground. now serves the Uniting Church congregation.
chapel on Monivae, a property near Rylstone. The building now houses the Cottage The building replaced the smaller sandstock

   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21